That being said, we had an old plain Ikea storage cabinet that was black and boring. We bought it for our old house, where our dining room turned play room was overflowing with toys. We needed something that would fit the space, was inexpensive and would hold a lot of toys.
Now that we were moving into our new place we wanted to update this cabinet. It really is a good piece for holding lots of books, puzzles, dolls etc. it just didn't fit the look I was going for in our new playroom/loft. So after doing some research and planning things out, here is what we did.
First we went to True American Grain in Laguna Niguel, CA to see about getting some old barn wood. And WOW were we surprised! This place is amazing. Clean, organized and you can see exactly where your wood came from. Pictures lined the aisles of wood showing you what the barn looked like and when it was built. So much history was stacked in their shop.
My husband and I fell in love with the wood they had. So we asked them for help on measuring out how much wood we would need to cover our cabinet. They plugged in the dimensions and calculated exactly what was needed. I asked him for more grey toned wood and that was exactly what he gave us, with some variations in color too.
This was the start of our project. We took the cabinet to my dad's workshop so we had all the tools, saw, glue and expertise from my dad on hand.
Next we started to cut, glue and nail the wood in place. There was no specific pattern we just started cutting and lining up the pieces the best we could and securing them with wood glue, pin nails and clamps to keep them from moving.
We kept going until the 3 exterior sides were covered (top, right side and left side). We didn't cover the bottom at all, we didn't want it to snag our new carpet.
Instead of putting the piece directly on the carpet we opted to put it up on caster wheels. We found these wheels at our local hardware store and screwed them in to the bottom.
Lastly we put 2 coats of a matte finish polyurethane on for protection. We didn't want rough wood exposed since this was for a kids toy cabinet. The polyurethane went on super easy dried quickly and gave the piece a great finishing look.
|It's final resting place in our loft/playroom, full of buckets of toys!|