Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Low Carb Spaghetti Squash & Italian Sausage
Recently my husband and I have decided to go Low Carb in our eating habits. Trying to make some better choices for our family when it comes to food.
That being said, I've been on the hunt for good Low Carb recipes...I came across one that sounded really good but of course, I made a few tweaks to it.
So here is my version of a delicious dinner!
What you need:
1 Package Italian Sausage
1 Medium Spaghetti Squash
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1/3 Cup Sour Cream
2-3 Garlic Cloves
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
4-5 Fresh Chopped Basil Leaves
Salt & Pepper
What to do:
1. First you will need to roast your Spaghetti Squash. Cut both ends off of the squash and then cut it down the middle length wise. Once cut in half you want to scoop out all of the seeds in the middle.
2. Now that your squash is cleaned and ready rub both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a baking dish with the middle of the squash facing down.
3. Roast the squash at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. When it's done let it cool. I did this step earlier in the day so it cooled completely and was ready when I wanted to start putting dinner together.
4. When it's cool enough to handle, take a fork and shred the inside of the squash. This will be your spaghetti like noodles. Scrape all of the middle out, don't leave any behind. The only thing left will be the skin.
5. Now it's time to cook your Italian Sausage. Cut the meat out of the casings, crumble and brown over medium heat. Once browned drain any excess fat.
6. In the same pot as the sausage add your Chicken Broth, Sour Cream, Garlic and Parmesan Cheese. Cook over low to medium heat until all combined and a sauce is coating the sausage.
7. Once your sausage and sauce have cooked together for a few minutes add in your Spaghetti Squash and mix all together.
8. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese, the Mozzarella Cheese and the fresh basil.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Just enough to melt and brown the cheese and warm everything through.
Serve and enjoy!
This was loved by everyone, even my 5 year old ate a whole plate of it!!! So much better than pasta, so satisfying and so simple! This will definitely be going on our menu again!
- L and L
- My mom, referred to as Mama L, and I have been talking about starting a blog for quite some time now. We are always trying new recipes and making new crafts - always being told by friends and family that we need to sell our creations. Instead of selling them we've decided to share our crafty ideas, yummy recipes along with our funny adventures here on our blog. Please follow us and enjoy. We are always trying to find new places to explore, new recipes to cook for our families and most of all we're just having fun!